A customer ordering a burger from McDonald’s in Winchester Street in the UK was shocked when he discovered blue plastic in his meal.
“It was a good thing that I flipped the burger over to check it before I started eating it, or I could well have eaten it. It looked disgusting. I called up the shop, and they didn’t believe me when I told them about what had happened,” said Rodney Thomas who ordered the meal through Uber Eats.
“When I spoke to head office, they told me that they wanted to see it for lab testing, but I didn’t want to send it to them; instead I asked locally at the council. They tested the bright blue material and confirmed that it was plastic.”
Upon receiving information about the results, Thomas claimed McDonald’s attempted to shift the blame on Uber Eats, responsible for delivering the food. Thomas said he was upset by this as McDonald’s refused to take responsibility for the incident.
“I know that companies cannot be perfect all of the time, but they have been acting like they don’t care. I do not want to eat there again, I’ve had no reassurances that things will improve or be taken care of. I just want an apology and for this not to happen to anyone else,” said Thomas.
Following the attention that built up around the situation, a spokesperson for McDonald’s said, “Food quality and safety are of the utmost importance to us. We place great emphasis on quality control and follow rigorous standards in order to avoid any imperfections. We’re sorry that this wasn’t up to standard this time around, and we are aware of the customer’s complaint.”
“When they returned to the restaurant we provided an apology and offered a full refund which was refused, with the customer opting to collect a replacement meal in the future. Unfortunately, when asked, the customer was unwilling to leave the food in question with us so it could be investigated by a third party.”