International Pickle Day is right around the corner, and New Zealand’s eateries are planning some special menus to celebrate the humble pickle. From November 11-17th, foodies will be able to get their hands on some of the most interesting pickle-based menu offerings across the country.
In conjunction with McClure’s Pickles, menus will be filled with pickle hot dogs, pickle shakes, pickles pizzas, pickle wontons, deep-fried pickles, and the pièce de résistance, a limited edition McClure’s Pickle Ice Cream by Duck Island Ice Cream.
“There’s a lot of heritage and tradition attached to our beloved spiced gherkin in America, but we’ve been really impressed with the Kiwi take on the not-so-humble pickle,” said Joe McClure of McClure’s Pickles.
“I hope as many Kiwis as possible make the time to head out and enjoy the incredible dishes, drinks and other treats that have been put together for this week-long celebration.”
Below is a full list of participating restaurants and their offerings.
- Burger Burger (Auckland, Christchurch and Tauranga): The Absolute Wurst
- (McClure’s Garlic & Dill Whole Pickle, Bratwurst Sausage, Mustard, Tomato Sauce, Fried Onion); a Pickle Pickle Shake Shake; Beer and Spears; Potato Skins served with McClure’s pickles, aged cheddar, freeze-dry pickles, chipotle mayo; Beef & Cheese Potato Skins served with NZ grass-fed beef, McClure’s pickles, aged cheddar, mustard, tomato jam and mayo, and Scooped Pickle Pickle Ice Cream.
- Al Brown’s Best Ugly Bagel stores (City Works Depot, Newmarket, Auckland
- Airport) - Double pickles on the Yodi, pickles. Complimentary McClure’s pickles on any of the classic or vege bagel sandwiches.
- Brothers Beer (City Works Depot) - “The McPickle Wontons” - A triple cheese, pickle, and brisket wonton served with hoisin BBQ beer dipping sauce.
- Burger Boy – Triple Pickle Cheeseburger - a twist on Burger Boy’s classic cheeseburger with McClure’s pickles three ways.
- Culprit – The Lowdown; Thomson two tone whisky, McClure’s pickle brine, egg whites, fresh lemon juice and Lowbrow original spice.
- Dr Rudi’s - Beer battered McClureʼs Pickles with marinated Clevedon Buffalo cheese, platters, burgers, pickle pizzas, beers n’ spears.
- Duck Island Ice Cream - McClure’s pickle ice cream.
- Fantail & Turtle – Beers ‘n’ Spears, Pickle Platters.
- Holy Hop (Kingsland) – Deep fried pickles.
- Little Creatures - McClure’s Pickle Dog complete with a crunchy chickpea batter and sriracha mayo.
- Pilkingtons – Two burger creations.
- Wynyard Pavilion - Beer battered, deep-fried pickles with aioli & habanero
- Duck Island Ice Cream - McClure’s Pickle Ice Cream.
- Haye’s Common - Pickled Bloody Mary with pickle juice and a fried pickle.
- Mizzoni - Cheeseburger pizza featuring McClure’s Pickles.
- Mr Pickle - Salmon gravlax, House Pickles, McClure’s x Duck Island Pickle Ice Cream, Lemon Dressing.
- The Bearded Weasel, a pickle and peanut sundae with Duck Island pickle ice cream.
Tauranga (The Mount):
- Burger Burger - offering above
- Al Brown’s Best Ugly Bagel stores (Te Aro & Wellington Airport) – Double pickles on the Yodi, Complimentary McClure’s pickles on any of the classic or vege bagel sandwiches.
- Grill Meats Beer – Pickle burger and pickle themed snacks
- Park Kitchen - Reuben sandwich with house-made pastrami, house-made sauerkraut and spicy pickles with swiss cheese on sourdough bread.
- Burger Burger - offering above
- Bacon Bros – Pickle Rick Burger.
- The Terrace - Reuben sandwich with Waitaha wagyu house-made pastrami, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and a beer-battered McClure’s Pickle on rye.
- The Hokitika Sandwich Company: ‘The Pickle’ sandwich; Fresh ciabatta, house-made mayo, Barry’s Bay madam cheese, McClure’s sweet and spicy pickles, Euro gourmet meats mortadella, red onion, mixed greens.
- Love Chicken - Pickle brined Southern fried chicken burger with loads of pickles & cheese.