New Zealand Winegrowers are delighted to announce the inaugural New Zealand Wine Week, kicking off on February 8, 2021.
With activities planned across the USA, UK, Ireland and Canada, there is a wide-ranging programme including tastings, discussions, and online activities.
“These events will explore our New Zealand wine story showcasing our premium, sustainable, and diverse wines, and the opportunity to participate in live discussions with leading wine voices from around the world,” noted Charlotte Read, General Manager Marketing, New Zealand Winegrowers.
“In these challenging times, we are delighted to be able to work together across our key Northern Hemisphere markets to bring a wide range of valuable intel and insight from renowned speakers. We aim to shine a light on many aspects of New Zealand wine during this week and show that even though we can’t physically be together, we can raise the profile and celebrate New Zealand wine with our trade and media audiences. “
The New Zealand Wine Week programme will comprise of a range of activities, including:
- ‘Challenging the Myths around Food Miles’ - a sustainability-focused webinar.
- ‘What’s New… What's Next!?’ - a winemaker led panel discussion exploring behind the scenes in New Zealand wine cellars, and what we might expect to appear in international markets in the next 12 months.
- ‘Pinot Noir Soils’ - a webinar delving into the different regions that excel in growing Pinot Noir, and how their individual soil types help define their wines.
- Syrah Masterclass - exploring the diverse styles and regional expressions with Rebecca Gibb MW.
- New Release Self Pour - a guided self-pour tasting to explore a set of new releases from New Zealand, including the outstanding 2020 vintage, with the opportunity to hear from the winemakers about how they overcame the challenges they faced.
- Instagram Lives with Dr Jamie Goode and several New Zealand winery personnel to explore different facets of New Zealand wine.
An innovative online New Zealand wine catalogue will also be launched and will prove to be an invaluable business tool for trade and media based in the USA, UK, Ireland and Canada. The catalogue provides a service where customers can browse participating winery profiles and compare varieties, price, channel, and availability in each market. Guests can make appointments with wineries and importers to discuss potential distribution opportunities, and in the UK request samples where applicable.
Ten years ago, New Zealand Winegrowers predicted that New Zealand wine exports would double and reach $2 billion NZD in 2020, and in October 2020 this was realised – despite the challenges of the year.
While the impact of COVID-19 on the industry has been mixed, what has stood the test of time has been the world’s love for New Zealand wine.
For details about how you can participate in New Zealand Wine Week, click here.