Gas Explosion at Renowned Restaurant

Fire crews investigated a gas explosion at an internationally renowned Otago restaurant yesterday evening.

A gas canister is believed to have caused a small explosion at Fleur’s Place in Moeraki. The explosion caused no damage or fire and there were no injuries.

Fleur’s Place is one of New Zealand’s most renowned restaurants, and owner Fleur Sullivan is one of the country's most celebrated women in the seafood industry and was inducted into the Restaurant Association of New Zealand's Hall of Fame in 2007.

In 2012 Sullivan was made a Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit for services to the food industry.