The Wellington hospitality industry acknowledged the outstanding abilities of its own with the announcement of the winners of the 2021 Felix Wellington Hospitality Awards.
Presented by the Restaurant Association of New Zealand with the support of lead sponsor Gilmours, the awards acknowledge the outstanding hospitality professionals and businesses, who are making a positive impact on the local café, dining and drinking scene.
The Restaurant Association is dedicated to supporting the hospitality industry, providing support to business owners and the future leaders of our industry. The awards are an opportunity to promote the local hospitality community, bringing people together to recognise achievements in what continue to be challenging times. It is more important than ever to connect and celebrate one another’s success.
“We are proud to be the supporting act to so many amazing hospitality businesses and seeing and enjoying the amazing food and experiences that the industry creates. Wellington is the culinary capital of New Zealand and all our finalists and winners this year are a true testament to this. We are very lucky to be part of this great culinary scene," said Gilmours Petone Owner/Operator Matt Humphrey.
Cuba Street eatery Floriditas picked up three awards for outstanding café and maitre d’, as well as the ultimate accolade of supreme establishment of the year.
Wellington locals have also had their say selecting Soul Shack as their favourite establishment. Highwater Eatery picked up the award for outstanding restaurant while Laura Greenfield of Field & Green took out the outstanding chef award.
Those looking for a great coffee and cocktails won’t be disappointed with Tait Burge of Swimsuit voted top barista and Jonathan Dawson of Egmont St Eatery taking out best bartender.
With the rise in takeaway dining, A Taste of Home was voted Outstanding Street Food/Takeout.
It’s been great to see Wellington restaurants get back to serving their customers after this year’s delta outbreak. These winning establishments represent the best of the best in the region and the way they have been able to maintain these incredible standards in dining is a testament to their resilience.
Felix Wellington Hospitality Awards Winners 2021
- L’affare Outstanding Barista ~ Tait Burge, Swimsuit
- Pernod Ricard Outstanding Bartender ~ Jonathan Dawson, Egmont St Eatery
- dinefind Outstanding Front of House Team ~ Ortega Fish Shack & Bar
- Antipodes Water Outstanding Maitre d’ ~ Dominique McMillian, Floriditas
- Southern Hospitality Emerging Chef ~ Madison Grace, Hiakai
- Service Foods Outstanding Chef ~ Laura Greenfield, Field & Green
- Waitoa Beer Outstanding Hospitality Professional ~ Paul Schrader, Rita
- Burns & Ferrall Outstanding Street Food/Takeout ~ A Taste of Home
- Meadow Fresh Outstanding Café ~ Floriditas
- Restaurant Association of NZ Outstanding Beer Experience ~ Little Beer Quarter
- Negociants Outstanding Wine Experience ~ The Puffin
- The National Distillery Outstanding Cocktail Experience ~ Hawthorn Lounge
- Coca Cola Europacific Outstanding Bar ~ The Rogue & Vagabond Craft Beer Bar
- OneMusic Outstanding Ambience & Design ~ Night Flower
- Nova Energy Regional Establishment ~ Parrotdog Brewery
- American Express Outstanding Restaurant ~ Highwater Eatery
- Te Papa Outstanding Sales Rep ~ Devendra Patel, Capital Produce
- Restaurant Association of NZ Outstanding Supplier ~ Moore Wilson’s
- Moore Wilson’s Outstanding Caterer ~ Food Envy Catering
- Visa Wellington on a Plate People’s Choice ~ Soul Shack
- Gilmours Supreme Award ~ Floridita’s