This year, Cheese Month is promising to be bigger and better than ever. Restaurant and Cafe has your guide to this October’s celebrations.
- Bob and Anna Rosevear at Mahoe Cheese Shop will be hosting special deals at their store throughout Cheese Month.
- Sabato will be holding special in-store tasting sessions of quark, ricotta, and smoked soft goats cheese, as well as special visits and NZ Cheese Month promotions. They’ll also be holding a Market Day on Sunday the 16th October, with baby goats, a dairy goat milking demonstration, and talks from cheese makers.
- Nosh will be hosting an in-store tasting demonstration with Meyer Gouda Cheese cheese maker Miel Meyer on the 15th October, as well as specials throughout the month.
- The new Countdown Ponsonby store will be hosting a Cheese Expo on the 15th October, 10am-3pm.
- Farro Fresh will be holding an in-store tasting of Barry’s Bay cheeses at their Epsom Store on the 15th October, as well as Meyer Gouda Cheese and Karikass on the same day at their Albany store. They’ll also be holding in-store tastings of Over the Moon cheese throughout the month Auckland-wide. Over The Moon will also be holding a special evening cheese class on Thursday 13th October, 7:30-9pm, in Albany.
- Tastings of Karikass Cheese will be available at New World Remuera 5th October, New World Birkenhead 6th October, New World Eastridge 13th October, New World Victoria Park 14th October, and New World Devonport 27th
- The Dairy in Ponsonby will be hosting a variety of in-store tastings, beginning with Cranky Goat Cheese on the 1st Next up are the Mahoe and Meyer Gouda Cheese tasting on the 8th and 22nd October, then a Raw Cheese Table of New Zealand’s best raw cheese on the 15th October. Barry’s Bay will be next on show on the 16th October, and Origin Earth on the 28th-29th.
- Puhoi Valley Cheese is holding a Cheese Appreciation Evening at the Puhoi Valley Cheese Cafe and Cheese Store, 275 Ahuroa Road, Puhoi. Participants will get familiar with Puhoi’s champion cheese, learn how to make halloumi, and sample ripened cheese. The event will take place on Thursday 27th October, 6:30-8:30pm, and tickets are $39, including a glass of bubbles and canapés.
- Whangaripo Buffalo Cheese will have a “cheese of the week” available for tasting and sale during the month of October in Matakana.
- Tastings of Whitestone Cheese will be available at Countdown Greenlane 15th October, Countdown Ponsonby 22nd October and Countdown Botany 23rd
- Mount Eliza Cheese and Aroha Organic Goat Cheese are taking their Raw Milk Cheese up to the top of Mt. Te Aroha to celebrate NZ’s unique raw milk cheese scene, 30th
- The Ferment Fest will be held as a free one-day festival at SKYCITY Hamilton, Saturday 1st October 11-5, to showcase local brewers and cheese-makers.
- Over The Moon Deli will be holding a wine and beer tasting at their 33 Tirau Street address, Thursday 6th October, 5pm. They’ll also be holding an evening of cheese tasting on the 7th October, 5pm at their Cambridge address.
- Meyer Gouda Cheese will be showcasing their range of cheese at the Waikato Home Show, Thursday 6th October until Monday 9th October, 10-6pm.
- Cartwheel Creamery will be showcasing their cheeses at the Ashhurst Community Market, Saturday 8th They’ll also be at the Hokowhitu Farmer’s Market on the 16th, and the Fielding Farmer’s Market every Friday during this month, rounding it all off with hosting a special tasting at Culinary Vista on the 29th October.
- Cartwheel Creamery will be hosting a stall at the A&P Show, as will Waimata Cheese, on 14th-15th Waimata cheese will also be at the Gisborne Farmer’s Market for extra special Cheese Month deals, every Saturday this month, 9:30-12:30.
- C’est Cheese will hold a variety of tastings throughout the month. Cartwheel Creamery will display a range of their cheese on the 1st October, followed by Cranky Goat on the 8th, Drunken Nanny will be bringing baby goats into the store for kids to pet on the 15th October, and then tastings will be held by Over the Moon on the 23rd, then Wild Bush on the 29th.
- C’est Cheese will also hold two degustation dinners at Ant North Catering on the 21st and 22nd October, from 7pm, at $95 per person. There will be six courses, in an event presented by Chef Ant North and Paul Broughton from C’est Cheese.
- Finally, C’est Cheese is also holding fondue tastings every Friday night from 5:30-6:30 at their Featherston location.
- Moore Wilson’s will be holding tastings of Barry’s Bay cheese on the 1st October, Karikaas on the 14th, Meyer Gouda Cheese on the 21st and 23rd, and Over the Moon on the 22nd.
- New World will be holding tastings of Karikass on the 7th October in New World Wellington City, and the 21st October at New World Thorndon.
- New World Havelock North will be holding a Meyer Gouda Cheese “Cheese Drop”, with whole wheels on special and in store tastings all month.
- Barry’s Bay Cheese will be hosting “A Journey of Beer and Cheese” at the Three Boys Brewery, accompanied by the Christchurch Symphony Orchestra, on Thursday 20th October 7-9pm. Tickets are $45 for 6 beers matched with 6 cheeses.
- Canterbury Cheesemongers will hold a whisky cheese tasting at the Howff on 834 Colombo Street, on the 21st October and the 28th
- Cranky Goat will have a market stall at the Christmas Country Fete in Culverdun, Thursday 27th October in Wynyard.
- Emilio’s Cheese will hold a market stall at the Ohoka Markets, every Friday in October. They’ll also be at the Christchurch Farmer’s Market, every Saturday in October, 9am-1pm, the Lincoln Farmer’s and Craft Market every second Saturday from 10-1, the Opawa Farmer’s Market every Sunday, and the Oxford Farmer’s Markets every second Sunday.
- Oxford Farmer’s Market is holding an amateur cheese competition on Saturday 30th October, 9am-12pm. The three best cheeses will win $50, as judged informally.
- Tastings of Karikass cheese will be available at New World Rolleston on the 6th October, 2-5, New World Ilam on the 7th October, 3:30-6, New World St. Martins on the 8th October 11-2, New World Halswell on the 12th October 3-6, New World Rangiora on the 13th October 2-5, New World Lincoln on the 14th October 3:30-6, and New World Fendalton on the 20th October 3-5.
- Cranky Goat will be sharing their goat cheese range at a tasting at Traiteur European Butchery and Deli, matched with New Zealand and international wines. The event kicks off on Wednesday 5th October, 6:30pm. Spaces are limited.
- Emilio’s Cheese will be holding a market stall in West Melton every second Saturday.
- Whitestone will be creating special Cheese Month platters and Smoked Cheese Month cheese rolls at their Factory Shop at 3 Torridge Street, Oamaru, throughout October. They’ll also be holding specials and tastings of local Whitestone cheese at the Oamaru Farmer’s Market, every Sunday from 9:30-1.
- Whitestone will be holding specials and tastings of their cheese at the Queenstown Farmer’s Market, every Saturday from 9:30-12:30.
- Whitestone will be holding specials and tastings of their cheese every Saturday from 8-12:30pm at the Otago Farmer’s Market.
- Tastings of Karikass cheese will be available at Fresh Choice Roslyn on Tuesday 4th October 2-5, and New World Centre City on Wednesday 5th October 11-2.
For more information, visit www.cheeselovers.co.nz.