While the country remains in Level Four Lockdown for the time being, a drop to Level 3 is inevitable. There are many ways hospitality and foodservice businesses can pivot their offering in order to operate during this level.
First, let’s remind ourselves of the Alert Level 3 Rules and Obligations
The Government’s Golden Rules for businesses at Alert Level 3:
- If your business requires close physical contact it cannot operate. Physical distancing rules apply and you may therefore need to re-organise the business to enable you to maintain physical distancing.
- Your staff should work from home if they can.
- Customers cannot come onto your premises. Hospitality businesses can provide contactless delivery and kerb-side takeaway.
- Your business must be contactless. Your customers can pay online, over the phone or in a contactless way. Delivery or pick-up must also be contactless.
- Basic hygiene measures must be maintained. Physical distancing, hand washing and regularly cleaning surfaces. Workers must stay home if they are sick.
- If you used PPE in your business before COVID-19, then keep using it in the same way. If you didn’t use PPE in your business before COVID-19, you don’t need it now. This is advice for food businesses, retailers, manufacturers and the service industries. Different advice applies to essential healthcare workers, border agencies, courts and tribunal staff, first responders and corrections staff.
Visit health.govt.nz for more advice
- You must meet all other health and safety obligations
Last year, a survey indicated that approximately a third of all restaurants, cafes and takeaway businesses were considering reopening at Alert Level 3, translating to approximately five thousand businesses across the country.
This year, however, many more businesses are prepared, having set up online ordering and many having more of a social media presence than last lockdown.
Knowledge of e-commerce is vital right now, you can check out some top tips for diversifying into the virtual space here.
Packaging and Hygiene
Alert Level 3 means delivery and for that you need the right packaging. Your business also needs to be on top of sanitation and hygiene. Luckily Burns & Ferrall have all your COVID essentials covered. You can explore their products here.
Kiwi hospitality is a resilient sector filled with adaptive and passionate people, together we can build back stronger.