Online food delivery service Menulog has revealed New Zealand’s most popular local restaurants in its annual Winter Restaurant Awards series. Tuk Tuk Thai in West Auckland has come out on top, taking home the National Menulog Winter Restaurant Award while another Thaieatery, Pla Thong Thai, in Mt Eden was voted for by hundreds of Kiwis in the first-ever People’s Choice Award.
Tuk Tuk Thai scored the highest of all 900 Menulog restaurants serving customers across New Zealand over the past six months.
“The Menulog Restaurant Awards are designed to recognise and reward the hard work of our restaurant partners, particularly those that have delivered an exceptional customer experience,” said Menulog commercial director Rory Murphy. “To take out the National Award, from a large network of fantastic restaurant partners, is a huge achievement for Tuk Tuk Thai.”
This season Kiwis were also invited to vote for their favourite local restaurants with close to 100 eateries in line for the People’s Choice Award. Pla Thong Thai received hundreds of votes from its loyal customers to ultimately be crowned champion.
As part of the awards series, Menulog recognises restaurants in four categories. In addition to the National Winner and People’s Choice Winner and Runner Up, Menulog awards cuisine category winners as well as local winners.
The winners in the best cuisine categories for this season are:
- Best Indian – Own Masala Restaurant and Takeaway, Tauranga. Popular for their Tikka Masala, Lamb Curry and Goat Curry.
- Best Burger – Freddy’s Burger and Pizza, Henderson. Popular for Freddy’s King burger with a double beef patty.
- Best Chinese – Bamboo Kitchen, Mount Eden. Popular for their Special Fried Rice.
- Best Thai – Chill Out Thai Restaurant and Delivery, Mount Albert. Popular for their Pad Thai.
- Best Pizza – Beach Pizza, Beachlands. Popular for their Meatlovers Pizza and Chicken Cranberry Pizza.