By Mark Wilson Diu, Saint Clair Vineyard Restaurant, Marlborough
4 snapper fillets
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 bunch garlic shoots, cut into 10cm
6 shallots, whole
350g carrots, peeled and cut
160g butter, divided into 40g
3 new potatoes, medium
Enoki mushroom, washed, for garnish
Basil leaves, for garnish
- In a pot add 40g butter, 2 sliced shallots, carrots and then sweat. Stir occasionally until the onion is soft. Add water, just enough to cover the carrots and simmer until the carrots are soft.
- While the carrots are cooking, in a separate pot add the new potatoes, water and salt. Simmer until just tender. Remove them from the pot and set aside. Leave the water on simmer to blanch the garlic shoots later.
- Once the carrot is cooked strain the excess liquid into a bowl to save.
- Put the carrots into a blender to puree, adding the liquid to adjust the consistency. Once puree is smooth, season to taste. Set aside.
- Melt 40g butter in a pan, on medium heat. Cut remaining shallots in half and cook cut-side down until caramelised. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, add 3 tbsp oil on a high heat. Add the seasoned snapper fillet skin side down, pan frying till the skin is crispy. Turn to the other side and add remaining butter and cook for 2-3minutes.
- Blanch the garlic shoots in boiling water until tender.
- Add the cherry tomato, basil leaves and garlic shoots into a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, squeeze lemon juice and add salt and pepper to taste.
Thickly slice the potato and assemble the components on the plate.