Bunnings hits a snag

The Bunnings snag, the iconic sausage, onion and sauce combo sold by fundraising and community groups outside stores across Australia and New Zealand may be in trouble. It seems that even the hardware store iconic sausage isn’t safe from excessive bureaucracy.

“Safety is always our number one priority and we recently introduced a suggestion that onion be placed underneath sausages to help prevent the onion from falling out and creating a slipping hazard,” said Bunnings COO Debbie Poole. “This recommendation is provided to the community groups within their fundraising sausage sizzle welcome pack and is on display within the gazebos when barbeques are underway. Regardless of how you like your onion and snag, we are confident this new serving suggestion will not impact the delicious taste or great feeling you get when supporting your local community group.”

A spokesperson from Bunnings New Zealand has confirmed that the directive has been issued to New Zealand stores as well.

Now, the man responsible for the rule change has been identified as Trevor, a farmer from Queensland, who slipped on an onion when entering Gympie Bunnings three years ago.

“I walked into store and it happened so fast, I had leather boots on, I went down on my back,” Trevor said. He underwent an MRI to ensure that his hip, which he had recently got replaced, was not damaged, and said he had no choice but the pursue Bunnings for the emotional stress he had endured.

“I went to another Bunnings a couple of weeks after and I had a panic attack. “Every time I go into Bunnings now I look on the floor – I look for onions. It’s serious stuff.”

Trevor was eventually compensated by Bunnings and signed a non-disclosure agreement.