By Ryan Olsen, Ironic Café, Dunedin
(Prepare two days in advance)
1 cup flour
1 cup water
- Combine flour and water in a bowl. Cover and sit in a cool dark place for two days.
125g starter bug
250g plain flour
25g gluten flour
8g instant dried yeast
- In a mixer with a dough hook attached add starter bug, flours, yeast and water. Mix on medium speed for 10 minutes. Add salt and mix for a further 10 minutes. Tip into a large oiled bowl and prove till doubled. Carefully tip onto a floured bench and stretch the mixture into a rectangular loaf shape and transfer to an oiled tray. Bake in a preheated oven 200°C for 20 minutes.
Asparagus, Chorizo, Baby Spinach
16 fresh asparagus spears – medium thickness, (or long green beans if asparagus is out of season) with woody ends snapped off
4 Verkerks chorizo sausage quartered lengthways
4 cups fresh baby spinach – packed loosely
- Prepare the ingredients as stated above. Set aside for assembly stage.
4 large fresh tomatoes
4 tsp olive oil
Salt and white pepper
- Trim out the eye of the tomato and cut in half through the equator. Place on a tray, season with salt and white pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Roast in oven 200°C for 15 minutes. Keep warm for assembly.
1 cup chunky avocado pulp
1 cup fresh sour cream
- Combine together with a whisk and season with salt and white pepper. Place in a container in fridge and allow to re-set.
Paprika infused olive oil
8 slices toasted ciabatta
3 litres water
60ml white wine vinegar
8 free range eggs
8 tbsp avocado crème
4 tbsp olive oil
- In a large pot bring to the boil water with white wine vinegar.
- When water begins to boil, turn heat down to medium-high and crack eggs into water. Cook until they feel soft but slightly firm. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté asparagus and chorizo till golden. Finish off by tossing through baby spinach, season with salt and white pepper and remove from heat.
- Place toasted ciabatta in the centre of a warmed plate. Place roasted tomato on top of ciabatta. Stack sautéed mix on top of tomato and bread. Place eggs side by side on top of sautéed mix. Top with 2 tbsp dollop of avocado crème.
- Garnish the top of the stack with radish cress and drizzle two circles around the outside of the serving plate – one with balsamic reduction and the other with paprika infused olive oil.